SPU will initiate a campus lockdown in response to certain types of threats to campus.
In a lockdown, SPU building entrances will be locked and campus activities and events will be suspended until further notice. The SPU-Alert System will be used to notify the campus about the start and end of a campus lockdown. (For additional information about active shooter and other armed threat situations, visit the Active Shooter/Armed Threat webpage.)
- Follow instructions issued through SPU-Alert.
- Cooperate with law enforcement officials, and take precautions so that you are not mistaken for a threat. For example, if police approach you in a secured room, stand still, keep your hands open and visible, and follow their instructions.
If you are inside a building during a lockdown:
- Move to a safe and securable area (e.g., an office, classroom, or dorm room) and lock the doors.
- Close the window coverings, move away from the windows, and get low on the floor.
- Remain in your secure area and await further instruction via SPU-Alert.
If you are outside during a lockdown:
- Leave the area and seek safe shelter off campus.
- Await further instruction via SPU-Alert.
What NOT to do:
- Do not leave a secured area during an emergency to see what is happening.
- Do not allow another person into a secured area during an emergency unless told to do so by law enforcement authorities or SPU officials.